Crawl Space Repair & Encapsulation in Alabama
Fixing Crawl Spaces in Birmingham, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa & Huntsville Area
Do you have a wet or musty smelling crawl space?
If so, you should consider taking action. Did you know that over 40% of the air that you breathe on the first floor of the home comes directly from the basement or crawl space? Because of this, crawl space waterproofing and encapsulation is essential to your family’s health. A humid crawlspace is the perfect environment for mold and mildew growth, insects and pests, and structural wood rot and degradation.
A crawl space is essentially a small basement. In homes with crawlspaces, the living area is so close to the crawl space that moisture and unsafe air infiltrate the home, causing potential health hazards.
Crawl Space Problems and Their Solutions
At OX Foundation Solutions, we help our customers in Alabama by getting to the root of the problem.
- Crawl Space Drainage System – If there are issues with standing water, we begin by installing a drainage system with a sump pump prior to the encapsulation process. This prevents standing water due to hydrostatic pressure, poor landscaping, or uncontrollable drainage from neighboring properties from effecting the integrity of the crawlspace liner. Crawlspace drainage is a necessary step in a comprehensive moisture control system when standing water is present or evident during periods of high precipitation.
- Drainage Matting – A dimpled plastic material used on high footings or concrete floor to assist with crawl space drainage issues.
- Crawl Space Vent Covers – Most crawl spaces have been vented due to antiquated building codes. Venting a crawl space creates big problems and it’s necessary to seal any vents or areas where outside air can get in. Stack effect is the movement of air in buildings due to air buoyancy. Air buoyancy is caused by differences in temperature or humidity. It is a health concern when warmer air inside the home rises and creates a suction against the floor. This suction pulls up to 40% of the air in the first floor directly from the crawlspace and it pulls mold and mildew spores, damp humid air, dangerous soil gas, and other allergens into your home. By sealing the vents and installing our quality crawl space encapsulation we greatly reduce the contaminants allowed to enter your home.
- Encapsulation System – To complete the process of sealing the crawl space, we install a patented crawl space encapsulation system to completely eliminate vapors and odors rising from the ground; creating a layer of protection between the dirt floor and your living space which also helps in lowering your home’s heating bills while making the living space more comfortable.
- Crawl Space Dehumidification System – Moisture in a crawlspace can cause numerous problems and is one of the leading reasons concerned homeowners call us to request a free home consultation. The EPA has done considerable research on residential moisture. Read the EPA 2017 report. They recommend an ideal range between 30 and 50 percent relative humidity for healthy living. Due to stack effect up to 40% of the air in the first floor of our homes can come directly from the crawlspace. Normal vented crawlspaces often have a much higher humidity than is healthy for occupation. Our licensed foundation repair consultants are armed with hygrometers to determine the actual level of humidity in a crawlspace and calculate an appropriate remedy. After the crawl space is sealed, the moisture level must be controlled and brought down to a relative humidity below 50%, using our high-efficiency dehumidification systems. You can learn more here.
If you are facing any of these problems at your home please click one of the links below to contact us for a free in home consultation with one of our industry leading professional foundation experts!